I made this the other night with garlic mashed potatoes and miso gravy. Yum! It was really simple to throw together and had just the right amount of spice. I bet this would be good in a sandwich as well.
Spicy BBQ Tempeh
1 package tempeh, cut in half lengthwise and then cut into quarters for a total of 8 pieces
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup hot water
2 tbsp grapeseed oil (or any neutral oil)
1 tbsp spicy chili paste, such as sambal oelek ground fresh chili paste
1/4 cup bbq sauce
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp garlic and onion powder mixture or 1/4 tsp of each
1/4 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Bring water to a boil in a medium sized sauce pan. Reduce heat and add sliced tempeh and poach for 10 minutes to increase digestibility and the ability to absorb a marinade.
3. Mix the rest of the ingredients and set aside.
4. Drain tempeh and add marinade to the sauce pan on medium heat. Add more water or soy sauce if tempeh is not mostly covered. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Place tempeh and marinade in an oven-proof glass baking dish, spread out as much as possible
6. Bake in oven for approximately 45 minutes, turning once, until the marinade has been absorbed
Total Prep and Cooking Time: 1 1/2 hours
- I lined my baking dish with parchment paper to make clean up easier
- You could also marinade this overnight before baking for a deeper, richer flavor