Ever since first having this simple dish at The Bye and Bye in Portland, I have become obsessed with eating it as often as possible. It’s quick, easy and super tasty. There are a lot of ways to dress it up with sauces, side dishes or in a salad but I tend to prefer having it just to munch on as a snack. This a great recipe to use when you are having a tofu craving but haven’t marinated anything or just want to make something fast and simple.
Nutritional Yeast Tofu
3 tbsp grapeseed oil (or other neutral tasting oil)
16 oz extra firm tofu, drained and patted dry
2/3 cup nutritional yeast
3/4 tsp of sea salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1. Slice tofu block in half lengthwise and then slice 1/4 inch thick (it’ll yield about 16 pieces or so)
2. Mix nutritional yeast, sea salt and paprika in a large airtight glass container and set aside
3. Heat oil in a cast iron skillet on medium high heat
4. Spread 8 pieces of tofu in the oil and cook for five minutes on each side or until lightly golden brown
5. Use a slotted spatula to scoop out tofu, making sure most of the oil is drained (do not place on paper towel) and toss it in spice mixture. Seal container and shake until all pieces are evenly coated. Scoop tofu pieces out of mixture and set aside
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 with remaining tofu
5 thoughts on “Nutritional Yeast Tofu”
I make a version of this where I throw sesame seeds in the pan, too. The other thing you can do, so you don't have to cook in batches, is to cut it in cubes. I love nutritional yeast tofu and I call it chicken fried tofu!
Do you press your tofu before you cook it?
I also love nutritional yeast and just bought a bunch of it. Thanks for your suggestions. I also lightly sautee my tofu in n y. I add some hot sauce and sesame seeds as well. I've found a non-stick skillet works great if you don't have a cast iron one.
i make this all the time, but with cubes. After the tofu has cooked a bit and some of the water has evaporated, I through in a splash of tamari. I then usually throw in some curry paste. Quickly stir, then add the yeast. mmmmmm My kids call it hot tofu and they devour so quickly!
you convinced me to buy nut. yeast