Oh how I love a plate of black eyed peas, brown rice, roasted brussel sprouts and bbq tofu. It is such a comforting combination of flavors and makes me oh so very happy. This is one of my favorite dishes to order at The Bye and Bye in Portland so I decided to create my own version. The picture below has grilled yams instead of tofu, which was a lovely complement to the meal.
Southern Style Black Eyed Peas
2 1/2 cups dried black eyed peas, soaked at least 4 hours
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
1/2 small can tomato paste
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
1 bay leaf
4 cups of water or vegetable stock
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp thyme
salt & pepper
1. Saute onions, garlic and celery over medium heat in oil.
2. Add jalapeño and continue stirring until vegetables are soft and fragrant.
3. Add a splash of water to deglaze then add the rest of the ingredients except thyme, salt and pepper.
4. Bring contents to a light boil, reduce heat and simmer partially covered for at least one hour, stirring occasionally.
5. Once most of the liquid is absorbed the beans are ready. Season with thyme, salt and pepper, serve over brown rice and enjoy!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 1/2 hours
2 thoughts on “Southern Style Black Eyed Peas”
ooh, that sounds like it would be delish. I must say the grilled yams would win for me over the tofu….
Hello there..it’s Red from Rocket and Roses…the recipe looks great and the photo makes me wanna just take the plate and eat it! lol. I shall try it out very soon and blog it and provide links to your blog…giving credit where it’s due..I’ll let ya know when I post…and I hope you swing by and check it out. ~R~