The struggle between preparing a healthy and delicious meal for yourself at home or throwing your hands in the air and going out for food is a challenge most of us face on a regular basis. The latter is often more expensive, time consuming and not as satisfying or nutritious. If you’re like me, you prefer eating at home and cooking your own meals as often as possible yet our friend/enemy ‘time’ doesn’t always allow such a union to come together. I created this recipe on a day I was short on time before heading out for the afternoon. From the moment I started pulling out the ingredients to the moment I sat down to eat exactly forty minutes had passed. The dishes, well, that’s another story.
Lentils and Rice
4 cups of vegetable stock or water, 2 tbsp reserved
1 1/2 cups brown lentils, sorted and rinsed
1 bay leaf
1 med onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 celery stick, chopped
1 med carrot, chopped
1 hot pepper (seeds removed), minced
1 can diced tomatoes
a handful of fresh parsley, chopped
1/8 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne
dash of cinnamon (optional)
splash of lemon (optional)
fresh black pepper and sea salt, to taste
1 1/2 cups of rice, cooked according to package directions
1. Place lentils, vegetable stock or water, minus the two tablespoons, and the bay leaf in a pot and bring to a boil.
2. While lentils are boiling, chop and prep the rest of your vegetables.
3. Heat remaining 2 tbsp of vegetable stock in a soup pot. Add onions, carrots and celery and saute until translucent. Add garlic and stir for an additional two minutes.
4. Add diced tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients, minus the salt and pepper, and bring to a light simmer.
5. Add lentils to soup pot and simmer until flavors are integrated and the lentils are tender.
6. Season with salt and pepper and serve over rice.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
**This dish can easily be turned into a soup by simply adding more vegetable stock or water.